Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Me and Holidays - a love-hate relationship

What is it about me and holidays?

One of my first boyfriends of note started Valentine's Day with flowers and candy, then broke up with me.

My father passed away on New Year's Eve.

My first ex-husband and I decided to get divorced on New Year's Day.

The flu struck me when I was a single parent literally about 10:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve when I had so much to do - that was a long, vomitous, vertigo-filled, feverish night. (It got done though!)

I had trouble with a pregnancy and was admitted to the hospital on an Easter Sunday.

My second ex-husband told me he was leaving me on December 27 (I consider the week between Christmas and New Year's as a holiday week - so did he.) and he moved out on on the 30th and 31st.

And yesterday, crushing news on Halloween.  Crushing.

So, as the second ex-husband loved to snarl at me with great derision, "You are such a Pollyanna", I prefer to look at this in the following way - at least I remember the hallmarks and the milestones in my life easily!  it certainly makes self reflection easier as long as I do not slip into self pity (which I rarely do though we all have our moments).  I think about how lucky I am that my Dad passed away on New Year's Eve;  he is a part of every celebration, every year.

So what is going to happen this Thanksgiving? This New Year's? Next Valentine's Day?  maybe throw something in on the 4th of July?  All I know is I can handle it all.  And if things happen on a random day, I am much less likely to remember them.  So thank you, life and holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment